Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Location/Division Specific Information
This position will be located at the Eugene, Oregon location supporting the Manufacturing/Operations group in the BioSciences Division of Thermo Fisher Scientific. The product portfolio is part of the Protein and Cellular Analysis Business Unit.
How will you make an impact?
As an EHS Specialist you will focus on ensuring a workplace that is safe, environmentally sensitive, and that meets regulatory compliance requirements. This position will develop, implement, and improve written environmental, health and safety programs based on OSHA and EPA regulations, Thermo Fisher Scientific corporate standards, and best management practice. You will identify potential or actual areas of non-compliance through assessments or GEMBA walks. Ensure appropriate corrective and preventive action is taken to address identified concerns. Provide leadership through the active management and effective prioritization of EHS activities.
What will you do?
- Conduct job hazard analyses and ergonomic evaluations
- Work with management to implement safety and process improvements
- Facilitate root cause determination, complete accident investigations and implementation of corrective action activities
- Develop, review and update specific environmental and safety programs
- Coordinate safety committees and OR-OSHA Voluntary Protection Program activities
- Evaluate new hazardous materials to ensure compliance in EHS requirements and facility procedures
- Review manufacturing instructions to ensure that required controls are properly documented
- Develop programs and assist with Industrial Hygiene sample collection
- Assist with environmental reporting and injury case management activities
- Work with other members of the EHS/Facilities team on projects
How will you get there?
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in a technical field (chemistry, biology, environmental science, occupational safety, or similar). Training in core Environmental, Health and Safety disciplines is preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in safety or environmental field. Experience in a manufacturing environment preferred
- Experience in local, state and federal environmental, health and safety regulatory compliance
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Good technical and project management skills with the ability to successfully manage multiple projects and daily responsibilities
- Ability to make decisions and work independently and as part of a team
- Good verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to develop and foster creative and innovative solutions
- Ability to interact with all levels of employees
- Ability to discern and appropriately communicate sensitive issues
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer applications, including word processing, spreadsheet, and slide presentations required
Assist with the site Emergency Plan and the Emergency Response Team