LOCATION Graphic Packaging International – Portland, Oregon
The HS&E Specialist is responsible for supporting the environmental, health and safety performance in the Portland plant, creating an injury-free and environmentally sustainable work place. The successful candidate will serve in a partnership role with local and corporate stakeholders to plan and execute the successful implementation of risk-based prevention programs in the following areas: health, safety, and environmental.
Our two main goals are to:
- Reduce and eliminate occupational injuries through deliberate alignment with the values and expectations of the Company’s behavior based safety culture.
- Maintain our exemplary environmental compliance track record
- Monitors safety and environmental compliance issues and provides assistance.
- Maintains HSE files and records. Modifies and implements compliance tracking programs and recordkeeping systems
- Assists with incident investigations and root cause analysis and may make resolution recommendations.
- Maintains various reporting systems and provides safety analysis as required.
- Assists operations in job hazard assessments by participating in processes and procedures and researching industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
- Participates in HSE site audits, inspections and routine surveys including developing and drafting audit documentation, tracking corrective actions, and monitoring trends in results of audit activities.
- Assists in the development of technical documents including HSE procedures, programs, and guidance documents
- Informs personnel regarding procedures and/or status of work orders for the purpose of providing necessary information for making decisions, taking appropriate action and/or complying with health and safety regulations. Coordinates with others for the purpose of completing projects/work orders efficiently and effectively
- Develops training for monthly safety meetings
- Bachelor degree in environmental health & safety, environmental science, chemistry, or closely related discipline
- 2-5 years of related work experience
- Familiarity with Lean Manufacturing Principles
- Experience working with Behavioral Based Safety programs
- HAZWOPER 40 Hour Certified (preferred)
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Extracts and compiles a range of data from written sources or from individuals
- Applies, explains or substantively revises complex, technical or specialized literature
- Understands complicated written instructions, memoranda, and policy statements
- Composes, proofreads or edits formal general correspondence, memoranda, short reports, or grant applications for internal or external circulation
- Must be able to work 8 hours/day (typically 8 AM-5 PM) plus overtime as required.
- Must be able to adapt work hours to meet the needs of manufacturing shifts (may have to come in for meetings at 6:30 AM or 6:30 PM)
- Regular, multiple or conflicting demands, deadlines, emergencies, or time pressures
- Considerable physical effort and a high degree of fine finger or hand dexterity
Graphic Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications for the job in question. We do not base our employment decision on an employee’s or applicant’s race, color, religion, age, gender or sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic identity, genetic information, disability, veteran/military status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law. Click here to view the EEO is the Law Poster.