Grow with the best. Join a smart, creative, and inspired team that accomplishes operational excellence. Bringing together individuals with diverse backgrounds, talents, and expertise, our 22,000 team members in over 400 locations worldwide are vital to making our Company stronger.
This position supports safe delivery of a $1.3-billion water supply program by applying health and safety principles and practices to a varied array of challenges. The HSSE Advisor interfaces daily with program leadership, project teams, technical specialists, design consultants, construction contractors, and others. The HSSE Advisor is responsible for implementing and continually improving a health and safety program that covers office work, field engineering and studies, and construction projects including the replacement of a river intake, reconstruction of a raw water pump station, installation of several miles of large-diameter pipeline, completion of a new water treatment plant, and two new reservoirs. The work environment is fast paced, collaborative, and dynamic. This position will be primarily based out of our client’s office, in Beaverton, Oregon.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the client’s safety manager to implement and refine a program-wide health and safety approach
- Review health and safety plans/ design submittals prepared by design consultants, construction contractors, and other contracted service providers
- Assist in identifying and mitigating site hazards and team member training requirements during project planning
- Serve as the client’s representative to observe and monitor construction activities and ensure a safe working environment for onsite personnel
- Assist with investigations of near-miss incidents and actual work-related injuries and illnesses associated with program staff, including losses involving the environment or property, and lead or support corrective actions to remedy identified root causes
- Maintain necessary program-level and project-level health and safety documentation and records
- Provide regular reporting and briefings on health and safety planning and performance
- Participate in program-level and project-level meetings, including progress meetings with construction contractors
- Review project design and bidding documents review to consider health and safety during construction, operation, and maintenance
- Review contractor bids and proposals to evaluate safety qualifications and statistics
- Support design guidelines/specifications updates pertaining to health and safety
- Ensure compliance with Stantec’s HSSE systems including the HSSE Program Manual and Safe Work Practices, as well as compliance with local legislation
- Work as part of an integrated consultant-client team
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Comprehensive understanding of construction safety concepts and their application in a dynamic, multi-employer work-site scenario
- Experience managing safety programs on large construction projects, comparable to the contract in scope and complexity
- Demonstrated knowledge of Federal and State regulations applicable to construction safety
- Commitment to work in a safe manner and ensure the safety of others by following established health and safety guidelines and policies
- Proven ability to function in a self-directed manner while handling multiple priorities
- Able to excel as an individual contributor and team member
- Exemplary writing and oral communication skills
- Facilitation skills to bring groups together and build consensus
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive working relationships
- Valid Driver’s License and good driving record
- Highly skilled in MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint
- Current OSHA 30-hour Construction safety training course. OSHA 500 trainer certification preferred.
- Current certification for CPR/First Aid/AED
- CSP, ASP and/or CIH designation is preferred
Education and Experience
- BS or equivalent in Occupational Health and Safety or a related discipline
- Minimum 10 – 12 years of relevant, professional experience
- Experience with major water infrastructure projects, including large-diameter pipelines, pumping and treatment facilities, and reservoirs, preferred
This position will require local travel to project sites in Washington and Clackamas counties, Oregon area. Typical field and work site conditions will require the ability to traverse over uneven terrain, ascend/descend drops in elevation, use of stairs and ladders, lifting up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.