The purpose of this position is to lead, manage, and direct the development and implementation of the City’s risk management and loss control programs including, but are not limited to, administration of the City’s self-insurance and commercial insurance policies covering general liability, real and personal property, workers’ compensation, crimes, machinery, equipment and automobiles, public officials’ liability, airport owners and operators, personal injury, floods, etc., as well as health and safety and American with Disabilities Act (ADA) programs. Manage and train the risk management division. Direct the investigation and adjudication of a wide range of claims filed against the City. Recommend risk management and loss control strategies and programs and risk funding and cost allocation methodologies. Analyze data and produce comprehensive risk management reports. This is a full-time, regular, exempt position. The schedule for this position is M-F, 8 am to 5pm.
- Develop a comprehensive risk management and loss control program for the City; coordinate risk programs with City leadership and other internal stakeholders. Build support and visibility for programs and initiatives and obtain stakeholder buy-in on program goals and objectives.
- Administer city-wide self-insurance programs for property, liability and workers’ compensation while ensuring adequate commercial insurance is in place to protect against loss at the most effective cost. Manage the procurement and renewal of insurance policies, broker of record and third party administrator contracts. Work with stakeholders on an internal cost allocation system. Manage and review contracts to ensure adequacy of insurance protections when contracting for goods and services.
- Develop and implement a citywide Health and Safety Program. Build a shared vision of health and safety goals at every level of the organization. Work with stakeholders to establish health and safety policies and develop and implement city-wide risk awareness, loss prevention and exposure control programs. Evaluate existing programs to ensure programs are effective and comply with federal, state, and local laws. Be clear about the priority of health and safety as it relates to other important business priorities, and create informed champions by making sure all employees have a sound understanding of and embrace health and safety best practices.
- Develop a comprehensive safety training program in conjunction with internal stakeholders. Determine employees’ health and safety training needs for specific jobs, coordinate trainings, and ensure employees complete and comprehend all necessary trainings. Develop a central monitoring system to keep track of training, licenses, and certifications.
- Develop an organizational structure to ensure a coordinated approach to safety citywide. Make sure safety committees are established at each City worksite, they function well e.g. meetings are well attended, responsibilities/functions are shared, and the committee meetings are documented with results shared with managers/supervisors for follow through. Ensure structure includes senior management oversight to drive home the importance of health and safety citywide.
- Oversee the administration of first party claims, third party liability claims and workers’ compensation claims. Investigate, evaluate and adjudicate claims against the City; confer with Legal for alternative disposition of claims.
- Administer and facilitate investigations of employee accidents, injuries, suggestions, and complaints. Analyze data and conduct trend analyses with the goal of reducing the number and severity of injuries.
- Serve as the City’s ADA Coordinator and Compliance Officer to ensure compliance with ADA federal and state laws and regulations pertaining to persons with disabilities.
- Recommends selection, trains, and evaluates the performance of the staff in the Division.
- Manages the preparation and administration of the budget for the Risk Management Division, working with the actuary to determine appropriate reserve projections and establishing agreements with the various City Departments to address services and premiums based on claims expenses and risk exposures.
- Create and implement a system of continual process improvement for risk management, workers’ compensation and safety and loss programs. Keep up-to-date on latest trends and laws affecting the industry, undertake a semi-annual self-assessment to ensure program audit standards can be met and maintained, work areas are inspected and equipment and systems are assessed with an eye toward minimizing accidents/injuries. Continually monitor insurance and safety programs for effectiveness and make changes as appropriate.
- Interpret laws and policies; review and analyze changes in state and federal regulations; ensure that all City risk management, safety, and ADA programs are in compliance.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Experience and Education
- Five (5) years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the administration of comprehensive risk management and loss control and safety programs with at least three (3) years in a supervisory or management capacity
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in finance, business or public administration or a closely related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
Required Licenses and/or Certifications
- An appropriate, valid driver’s license
- Possession of, or ability to obtain within six (6) months, an OSHA 30 card
- Certification as a Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter and/or an Associate Risk Manager is highly desirable
- Pertinent federal, state and local laws that pertain to workers’ compensation, health and safety including State of Washington Labor Code
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment
- Best practices in risk management, loss control, health and safety and ADA compliance programs
- Financial and legal requirements for developing, implementing, and administering self-insurance plans
- Principles of investigation and claims adjustment
- Experience working in RMIS, Origami a plus
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment
- Use of personal computers and basic software
- Develop and implement self-insurance, insurance, risk control, and safety programs with effective financial and operational measures
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City leaders, elected officials, employees, representatives of other governmental agencies, insurers, vendors, employers, and others encountered in the course of the work
- Develop comprehensive safety training programs for employees and ensure employees’ licenses and certifications are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Represent the City effectively in meetings, hearings and litigation of claims
- Interpret laws and regulations and negotiate the settlement of claims, with or without legal counsel.
- Develop ADA self-evaluation and transition plans.
- Identify and assess risks for a broad array of city functions
- Analyze, classify, and rate risks, exposure and loss expectancies, and interpret insurance contract language
- Communicate clearly and effectively verbally and in writing and be comfortable speaking in public settings
- Work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Manage and negotiate with outside vendors and consultant
- Interpret, apply and explain complex laws, regulations, policies and procedures to a wide variety of audiences.
- Work with and express ideas effectively with a broad spectrum of individuals and organizations from a variety of diverse backgrounds
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, staff, public officials, civic and community groups and the general public
- Create and deliver comprehensive risk management, workers’ compensation and safety training programs for diverse groups
- Supervise and coordinate work of the Risk Management and Safety Department
- Operate a personal computer and appropriate software
- Work in a manner consistent with the City of Vancouver’s Operating Principles
- Work and act as a team player in all interactions with other City employees
- Provide a high level of customer service at all times
- Project and maintain a positive image with those contacted in the course of work
- Develop and maintain collaborative and respectful working relationships with team members and others
- Consistently provide quality service
- Maintain regular and dependable attendance
This position is subject to successful completion of a pre-employment reference check, a criminal background check, a credit check and a driving abstract.