The Chapter Safety Professional of the Year (SPY) Award is a long established annual award, intended to recognize a deserving Columbia-Willamette Chapter member for outstanding leadership and service in the Safety Profession.
This document outlines the Chapter’s guidelines and procedure for nominating a chapter member for the 2021 Chapter SPY Award.
Nomination Guidelines and Procedure
Eligibility. To constitute nominee eligibility, all of the following apply.
- Professional Member, Member, or Associate Member of the Society
- Member of the Columbia-Willamette Chapter
- Employed full time in the safety and health profession
- Not a SPY award recipient in the past five years
Criteria. Nomination is based on the nominee’s past five years activity, with special emphasis on the more recent activity. In general, the professional deserving of recognition as a leader in safety will have contributed to the establishment, improvement, and/or advancement of the safety profession in the Columbia-Willamette Chapter geographical area including Mt. St. Helen’s and Santiam sections.
Professional achievement and contributions in the following main categories will be considered.
- ASSP and or Chapter involvement
- Professional employment
- Community and public service
- Educational institutions
- Regulatory agency and technical organization
- Other pertinent achievement and contribution
Achievement and contributions in the above categories include, but are not limited to, exemplary leadership, technical proficiency, professional mentoring, lectures/presentations, publications, program development, innovations and other related activities.
Nomination Form. The nomination form must be completed in its entirety.
- Additional comments must be limited to two pages.
- Nomination form must be returned to Barbara Aguon by February 1, 2021
- Questions? Please contact Barbara Aguon 503-720-1153
Corinna Kupelwieser is chairing the nominating committee this year. Additional members of the committee are past presidents Guy Silvey and Paula Jones, and presidential appointee Brittany Johnson. Descriptions of board positions can be found in the Chapter Bylaws.
There are many benefits to being on the board including:
- Networking…build a great group of go-to resources!
- Professional Development. Upcoming leaders have the opportunity to travel to Chicago of the Society Leadership Development Program.
- Regional Meetings. The VP, President-Elect, and President have the opportunity to travel to the Regional Operating Committee meetings and extend their network regionwide. You’ll meet some society staff, possibly get recruited onto a society committee, and occasionally travel somewhere pretty cool.
- You’ll gain skills in meeting protocol (Robert’s Rules), following Bylaws, teamwork and decision-making.
- It’s a great experience…really!
Please reach out to any committee member if you are interested in running for the chapter board. Nominations will be published by February 6th and the e-ballots will be available March 8th – April 2nd.
Corinna Kupelwieser | Comittee Chair
Guy Silvey | Committee Member
Paula Jones | Committee Member
Brittany Johnson | Committee Member
Save the Date!
Friday, May 14 from 6-10 pm
5505 NE Huffman, Hillsboro, OR 97124
Food (other than entree) and alcoholic beverages provided with a cash bar.
Member Guests: $45.00
(Note: we currently hope and plan for this to be a live event, but will follow existing COVID-19 recommendations set by ASSP and Oregon OHA.)