ASSP Columbia-Willamette Chapter Leadership Award
Walter G. Thorsell Memorial Scholarship Fund
Honoring Jack Durkin, Thomas McMahon and Walter Thorsell
The purpose of these funds is to provide educational aid to deserving students who are enrolled in an institution of higher education and are seeking degrees in disciplines preparatory to a career in occupational safety, health and/or environmental science (SHE).
- Applicants enrolled in an Associate Degree program will be considered for the Leadership Award.
- Applicants enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree program will be considered for both the Thorsell and Leadership awards.
- Candidates must be enrolled at an institution of higher education in an Associate, Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree program related to occupational safety, health and/or environmental science.
- Candidates must have completed at least one term of study in a SHE related program.
- Candidates must have achieved a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.75.
- Candidates must be an active member of a student section of ASSP or be a student member of ASSP and participate in professional chapter/section activities if no student section is on campus.
- Candidates must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, residents of Oregon or Washington.
- A demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in the field of occupational safety, health and/or environmental science.
- A statement of interest in the field.
- Participation in an ASSP student section or professional chapter/section.
How to Obtain an Application
Applicants can fill out the online application below or request a PDF version of the application by sending an email to the Development Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for Submitting Applications
The application period is open October 1 – January 1. Complete applications along with supporting information must be received by the end of the day on January 1.
Disbursal of Funds
Award recipients will be contacted by January 15. The funds will be disbursed directly to the recipient’s educational institution.
Submit Your Application